Monday, August 22, 2011

School Shopping Tips and Such...

School shopping can be stressful, but only you make it that way...So I'll help.

Tips:
1.) Go through the closet:
*Throw away things you don't wear(I think I've explained this 3 times now in other posts...)
*Then make a list of clothes you need. Nothing relating to spring/summer clothing should be on it. I'm serious, this will help you once it gets cooler and all you bought were shorts, tanks, and dresses.
*Make a list of clothing you want.

2.) Go shopping!:
*You can go once and do it all, or go shopping multiple times. I would suggest going multiple times so you have more options, different sales, new clothes to choose from(hint: Most clothing stores get a new shipment of different clothes every week or every other week).
*Sometimes you need to go shopping by yourself. Some of your friends can influence you into buying clothes that really aren't you. You'll end up wearing it a couple times then it goes away in the closet. I learned from this myself, I like going shopping with my closest friends because they truly know what you like. Plus my friends know I speak what I'm thinking, if it's ugly. It's ugly.
*Watch out for sales. Some sales can be awesome, you get $10 off of $50 or buy one get one free, etc. However be wary of sales that say for example: 5 shirts for $20, it sounds great, but usually, those shirts are basic t-shirts and you get sucked in, and then you have 5 t-shirts and not enough killer pieces in your wardrobe.
*Put together outfits from multiple clothing stores. If you but a whole outfit from one place, it's kinda weird and usually you can't separate that outfit and wear the pieces separately.
*While shopping keep in mind of your own closet back at home. What outfits you can make with new pieces you buy and what shoes go with what pieces you want to buy.
*Buy a few trend pieces. Here's some trends this year: Skinny jeans are still in, high-waisted trousers or skirts or jeans, flared jeans have come back, floral is still popular, cropped tops are awesome, tunics and leggings, jeggings are staying for awhile(careful, make sure they actually look like jeans and not leggings), colored skinny jeans(Be careful, don't end up with puke green pants or hot pink pants that look really tacky), oxfords/brogues are becoming more and more popular, moccasins are kind of disappearing(we'll see what happens come winter time, moccasin boots are cool though), flowy shirts are in too.
*Also when jean shopping. Just go for jeans and try on tons of jeans because it can truly be hard finding that perfect fit and length, you need tons of options. Take it from a girl with long track legs and no hips, I know it's hard and the fitting room lights are terribly lit and make you think you look horrible.

Some helpful hints in a clothing store, from a lowly girl who stands there folding all day:
1.)Do not ask if we have an item in the back. We hate this because, sometimes there isn't even a back to the store, stock could be anywhere. Anyways if it's not in your size, seriously, it probably wasn't meant to be, it was probably a piece that would stay hidden in your closet never to return)
2.)Don't take tons of clothing into the fitting room. You'll be in there forever first of all. Second of all, you shouldn't be buying whole outfits at one clothing store like I mentioned before. And third, you most likely leave your clothes strewn all over the fitting room so when someone like me walks in there, we are just so thrilled that you were a major slob of a customer).
3.)Do not ask us how an item of clothing fits. We honestly have no idea. Try it on yourself, that's what the fitting room is for. Try on your honest size, don't buy something that's too small or too big, because you won't wear it.


...I think that's all I got for now. I have a lot of other rants about working but you are the customer and so am I, I won't offend you too much.

Coming soon: First Day of School Outfits because I know you're all stressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment