Thursday, November 10, 2011

365 Outfits-Explained Thoroughly

     You definitely know her. She's that girl that must own the largest closet ever. Every day she comes into school wearing different clothes, it looks like she never wears the same thing twice. You pretty much despise and envy her just because she has perfect clothes and the wardrobe that doesn't repeat itself. How does she look so trendy every day?
-Reality Check-
     That's not even style. Repeat that to yourself, you don't want to be that girl. However, there are ways you can be better than that girl, with style and a smaller wardrobe.

Step 1.) Gaze into the vastness of your closet.

Step 2.) Find basic clothing you own-jeans, t-shirts, plain cardigans, flats, plain button-down shirts, etc.

Step 3.) Find key pieces of your wardrobe, meaning- jewelry, prints, skirts, tights(snazzy), scarves, shoes/heels, dresses, blazers, etc.

Step 4.) I'll help you with this one. This is so complicated, we're gonna mix your basic clothes and your key pieces...multiple times. Oh gosh. Let's think...

  1. Jeans go with anything-casual or dressy, jeans are an unlimited go-to item for mixing outfits, you can literally wear them with t-shirts, blouses, blazers, heels/flats/sneakers, anything.
  2. T-shirts are also a must-have. A white, black, or gray tee can be paired with jeans and flats for a minimalist look, then add a scarf, or wear a skirt, or a blazer, add jewelry.
  3. Add a cardigan to almost any outfit, you can wear a printed tank with it for less drab. Wear cardigans with dresses, t-shirts, jeans, everything. It adds warmth. 
  4. Button-down shirts are very versatile, they can be worn open, buttoned up a little, button up all the way. Also cuffs rolled down, up, or rolled up over a cardigan. They can be worn with pants, jeans, skirts, under the appropriate strapless dress. They can also be worn with bow ties and ties. It's classy and androgynous(adj. feminine menswear term for 2012).
  5. Ballet flats are comfy and in neutral colors they can match many outfits. They look great with skinny or flare jeans, dresses, and skirts. In more flashy styles, flats can give an outfit a little jazz, wear a something simple and add some cute ballet flats.
  6. Heels can make any outfit dressier, it's pretty much common sense. 
  7. Scarves, are amazing, there are hundreds of different ways to wear them as well(ways to tie a scarf: texeresilk.com and www.scarves.net)
  8. Jewelry can make the most simple outfit. You can wear jeans and a plain white t-shirt and layer on some necklaces, wear bracelets and rings, some earrings and you're good to go.
  9. Tights. You can take a dress or skirt and make it snazzy, with snazzy tights. Patterned tights, colored tights, or be classy with black/nude/gray. 
  10. Blazers can over over a variety of clothing. Wear it with a button-down for that authentic feminine menswear, show class with a tank, you can wear it with plain t-shirts or even band t-shirts, and wear it with sweaters too. 
My Secrets on How I Recycle Outfits:
-I have a pair of nude flats that I wear with a lot of different outfits.
-Flare jeans look killer with heels, but they're also great with flats.
-I love blazers. Everyone needs one, I usually wear them with a dress or jeans or shorts and tights.
-I have some dark blue jeggings that are comfy and look good with just about anything.
-I have this white-button down I bought a few weeks ago and I think it's my favorite. It's t-shirt material with 3 buttons, and it's oversize. I can wear it over leggings, with skinny jeans, or a skirt.
-I like to wear a cardigan over a button down shirt. Roll the cuffs of the button down over the cardigan sleeves.
-I wear my pearls with anything. Costume jewelry is usually cheap and are easy to layer.
-Scarves are great. I like putting less effort into my look sometimes, so I can throw on simple clothing and then grab a scarf.
-Sometimes I like to wear my dad's button down shirts or sweaters. They look good with a lot of things-jeans, leggings, tube skirts, etc.
-I put on suspenders to make an outfit fun.
-Same goes for snazzy tights.
-I wear my fake doc marten military boots with a lot of outfits, even with dresses or a fancy skirt.
My closet isn't really huge. I may have different outfits every week, but that's because I like to experiment by mixing different pieces.

Finally, some helpful hints:
*Experiment!
*Don't buy full outfits when shopping, keep in mind what can match with the clothing you already own.
*Don't be in a cycle with your outfits. That's weird. I don't wear the same outfit again for 2 or 3 weeks, sometimes maybe a month-I don't pay that much attention. I actually don't repeat a lot of outfits though because I like to wear different outfits and experiment.Everyone has favorite outfits however.
*Jeans can be worn more than once. They are made to be washed less so they won't fade, they're durable, and you can wear them more. About twice is ideal for me.
*Key pieces are absolutely key to a small wardrobe. I've said this before and it's definitely true.

That was a long post. Geez. Okay next post coming soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment